January 1, 1945


My heart is bleeding. My eyes have cried. My soul is dead within me. Three ships crashed into the mountain in Ceram, all exploded.1 My three friends, Stan Seehorn, Howard Sanford and John Loughlin. The best pal a man ever had and two more of the nicest guys ever to breathe. Stan’s 54th, Sandy’s 62nd, John’s 70th. All should have been on orders. John’s would’ve come in a few days. Martyrs to our famous nil rotation policy.

Only yesterday, Stan dropped in the tent. We talked over various situations. We did a little work on a jigsaw puzzle. It still lays unfinished on my table. It will never be finished by me. It can never be.

Stan always dropped in everyday and in the evenings after he was transferred. Stan would always leave without a word. You’d never miss him for a minute, and then when you did, it would be with an awful force, because he brought light into the places where he went. His baby blue eyes, very big, and very honest. His light complexion, like a baby’s, his nose that drew down towards the tip. The inevitable cigar which he smoked with a raft of enjoyment, and then let it burn out when busily engaged, his interest straying elsewhere. The man who’d do anything for his buddies, without asking return. I will miss Stan with all my heart. His pride in Bunny, his girl he loved, in Margaret, who was his most beloved friend, his devotion to his family. Stanley Seehorn is gone but lives in my memory and the memory of others forever.

His going removes one of my mainstays. I wish that Stan were here tonight that I might recall every harsh word I spoke to him. That I might cry more tears, though I’m dry eyed with grief. Somehow I feel that Stan is here, watching me write these words. It is not a fitting epitaph because words were never made to explain the kind of a man Stan was. The kind he remains in my memory. Happy landings buddy. May God hold you in his protecting arms.

The last time I saw John was at the theater one night. We had a long conversation about the tough luck the Joyces received when their two sons left the earth at the same time: Dick in a water landing near Ceram2; his brother in Guam during the invasion there. The Laughlin’s and the Joyce’s are friends. Return comforting will probably occur. John was a swell guy, quiet spoken with an usually good cheer. Tall and humanly conscious of those about him. He is gone too. I cry for his memory. He was only awaiting orders to go home. He’s home now with the special haven of heaven that God must have for those of his angels. Godspeed, Johnny Loughlin!

Howard Sanford (“Sandy”) was in the tent the other day. He dropped in only for as was his wont. Sandy was always smiling. He never broke a promise. His blue eyes used to twinkle merrily. He’d laugh and joke with anyone. His manner was as quiet as his voice; his heart was gold. Sandy never did a mean thing in his life. He was in this war for the things he thought about, just as Stan and John were. They never shirked a duty, nor used a nose, though we called Sandy “Brownie”. This was because the exact opposite was true. Forgive me Sandy for ever calling you that in fun. May God forgive me as readily as he took you to his bosom. Adios, Sandy.

So long fellows. Know that we sorrow for you and know also that your memories will march through all time with us. May we someday meet again and know the things that have passed together. That is, if a weak man like me can attain the pinnacle that is your abode in heaven. Parting is such sorrow. Not to see you in all the tomorrows for all time we may be apart will be a loss to me, will be a loss to all who knew you. Please God that you may not have died in vain. My friends, good night!

In England, Verne wrote in his diary:

We didn’t fly today. Thank heavens. Am still plenty shaky after Hamburg raid. Am resting up and getting ready for our next raid. Sure was cold last night and today with some snow and wind. Wonder what Aileen and Allen are doing. Sure wish I could be with them. Miss their company.

Notes & Commentary

1 On January 1, 1945, B-25s (eight each from the 70th, 100th and 390th Bombardment Squadrons) were dispatched from Mar Airfield to attack personnel and supply areas at Haroekoe and Kairatoe Airdromes. Each squadron attacked it assigned target at minimum altitude.

Each aircraft carried twelve 100 lb. Napalm Incendiary Bombs and a full load of ammunition. 222 incendiary bombs were dropped on Kairatoe and Haroekoe. Twelve were jettisoned in open water and 53 brought back to base. Of those returned to base, 36 were brought back because of the pilots waited too long to drop them in the area of the assigned targets and then could find no suitable target on which to drop them. Approximately 43,000 rounds of .50 caliber ammunition were expended in strafing the targets.

The B-25s were off Mar Airfield by 0820. All squadrons flew from Mar to Cape Dore to Cape Fasendoten to their targets. The 100th and 390th Bombardment Squadrons attacked buildings at Haroekoe Airdrome at 1127 and 1128, respectively. The 70th Bombardment Squadron attacked buildings east northeast of the Kairatoe Runway at 1035.

After the attack, three planes in the first flight of the 70th Bombardment Squadron started on the return to trip. The fourth missed the formation rendezvous and returned alone. At approximately 1100 at 03° 30’S 129° 15’E, the three planes turned on a 20 degree heading and started across Ceram Island. The altitude of the lead flight was between 5,000’ and 6,000’, and the second flight was at 8,000’. The first flight was winding through 7/10 towering cumulus as they approached Mt. Binalia which was apparently not seen because of the clouds. The flight leader of the second flight saw them go around a cloud and head into the ridge west of Mt. Binalia peak at 1110. They did not have space to avoid hitting the ridge and the three planes crashed and burned.

The remaining aircraft returning from the mission recovered at Mar Airfield by 1250.

Consolidated Mission Report #42-978, 1 January 1945. Headquarters 42nd Bombardment Group (M), 1 January 1945, microfilm B0132, Maxwell AFB, AL: Air Force Historical Research Agency, 1973, frames 793-795.

The following men were killed in the crashes of the three B-25s:

B-25 #950

Lt. Col. Joe Reese Brabson, Jr.
2nd Lt. George Irving Buck
2nd Lt. Edward Fitch Garvin
Sgt. Julian Clark Hatfield
S/Sgt. Dallas Sidney Scales
S/Sgt. Joseph H. Brasher, Jr.

B-25 #877

F/O Walter Charles Gillette, Jr.
2nd Lt. Milford James Karr
S/Sgt Stanley L. Seehorn
T/Sgt. Howard D. Sanford
SSgt. John V. Loughlin

B-25 #497

2nd Lt. Michael Elmer Miles
2nd Lt. Fred Wilson Dains
2nd Lt. Maurice Louis Denault
Sgt. Charles Clayton Hogue
Cpl. Ralph Lawrence Newton
Cpl. Robert Frayser McConnell, Jr.

Mission Report, Mission #303, 1 January 1945, 70th Bombardment Squadron (M). Office of the Intelligence Officer, 1 January 1945, microfilm A0560, Maxwell AFB, AL: Air Force Historical Research Agency, 1973, frames 957-958.

At the conclusion of the war the families of those reported killed or missing in action still held out hope that their loved ones might be found. At the least, they wanted to know the status of their remains. Today, we might say they sought closure. Many letters were written seeking information, and they were answered to the best of everyone’s ability.

General Kenney has asked me to reply to your letter of 16 May concerning the circumstances of your nephew, Lt. Colonel Joe R. Brabson, Jr. The information which follows is from the personal knowledge and available records in both the AAF Headquarters and the Adjutant General’s Office.

Lt. Colonel Brabson was Deputy Group Comander of the 42nd Bombardment Group, leading a flight of six B-25’s on a minimum altitude strike against Old Namlea Runway just west of Ambon Harbor on the island of Ceram. To the best of my recollection, the strike was set up for about 0950, 1 January 1945. The six aircraft had taken off from Sansapor (Mar Strip), New Guinea. After the strike, the formation headed for home base by cutting across the SE tip of Ceram. The leader of the second flight of three planes saw the first flight, led by Lt. Colonel Brabson, enter a broken cloud deck at about 3,000 feet, and shortly thereafter saw several violent explosions. The mountain (Mt. Binalia) is roughly 6,000 feet high. Lt. Colonel Brabson’s airplane and both escorting airplanes were destroyed. The mission report lists a total of 17 casualties.

I am informed that the Quartermaster General wrote a letter to Lt. Colonel Brabson’s brother informing him that a query was sent to the theater on 6 May 1946 to ascertain whether the remains were recovered by Dutch or Australian search parties after the surrender.

We are not in a position to fully advise you concerning the feasibility or advisability of Lt. Colonel Brabson’s mother visiting the island of Ceram. However, I would most certainly advise that she be discouraged as to the practical advantages of such a venture. While I can sympathetically understand the very natural desire of a mother to be sure of the fate of her son under these circumstances, the chances of his survival in this case are most remote. Accordingly, I repeat, that I would most certainly advise the discouragement of Mrs. Brabson’s proposal to visit Ceram at this time.

Ambon is the only settlement of any size from a project to search the vicinity of the crash could be undertaken. It was the site of the Dutch residency before the war and the headquarters of the Japanese Army during the war. It received an unmerciful pounding which reduced the town to almost complete destruction. It is possible that the ravages of war have been in part repaired, but I am afraid it is no place yet for gentle white women.

Systematic searches of the areas over which our boys fought in the Southwest Pacific campaigns were undertaken following VJ Day by military forces of local Australian and Dutch authorities. It is quite possible that of the remote areas have not been searched thoroughly at this time, however, Ceram and the surrounding islands which are fairly populous have probably been gone over with fine tooth comb.

Missing Air Crew Reports (MACRs) of the U.S. Army Air Forces, 1942-1947 , digital image, Fold3.com (http://www.fold3.com/image/30087079/ : accessed 27 December 2014), Letter dated 31 May 1946 from Office of the Commanding General, Headquarters Strategic Air Command, Bolling Field, Washington, D.C. by St. Clair Streett, Major General, U.S. Army, Deputy Commander, to Colonel Fay W. Brabson, Staunton, Virginia.

The remains of F/O Walter C. Gillette, Jr., S/Sgt. John V. Loughlin, T/Sgt. Howard D. Sanford and S/Sgt. Stanley L. Seehorn are buried in Section 79, site 502-503, Jefferson Barracks National Cemetery, St. Louis, Missouri.

“Stanley Lavelle Seehorn”, Find A Grave (http://www.findagrave.com/ : accessed 27 December 2012) Find A Grave Memorial #12822637.

2 Tail gunner Dick Joyce was killed in a water landing. See Wayne’s Journal, October 14, 1944.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to January 1, 1945

  1. What a sad and sobering story. A terrible way to start a new year full of hopes and dreams. All those lives gone in an instant. There must be many for whom closure never came and truly never will.

    Liked by 1 person

  2. gpcox says:

    Such heartache for them to start another year of war.


  3. suchled says:

    I’ve got nothing to say. Nothing I can say.

    Liked by 1 person

  4. R Swank says:

    Lt Milford J Karr is buried in Manila.

    I believe that “all?” of the rest were also recovered. Follow the links off this one for Brabson:

    Here is the grave, for example, of Michael E Miles:

    Liked by 1 person

  5. Kevin Anderson says:

    My uncle, Roy Anderson, now a 70th BS pilot after the December 20th shuffle of group personnel, the same order that brought Stanley Seehorn to the 70th, was a pilot in one of the planes in the second flight, and he witnessed this crash. My dad remembers Roy trying to tell the family about this later, after he was back from the Pacific.

    Here is a link to what I know about this crash, including about midway down in the page the list of crew on each plane.

    And at the bottom of the page is a link to a report written on the initial seaching back in 1946 to recover the remains of the airman lost in the crash. If you haven’t read that report yet, it is definitely worth the read, as it gives some idea of the terrain and the hardness in traveling through mountain jungles without all the modern conveniences of GPS, helicopters, and the like.


  6. I can’t imagine. Can’t. It’s like I’m sitting there with him while he’s saying this. What horrors.

    Liked by 1 person

  7. lifeboatadam says:

    So sad, and it still reads so raw all these years later. Just awful.

    Liked by 1 person

  8. jimh3m says:

    What a poignant entry. I’m left wondering if writing-it-out helped Wayne deal with the shock?

    Do I understand from your footnotes that at least a few of the air crew remains were recovered and returned to the States?

    Liked by 1 person

  9. Can’t even imagine the magnitude his grief after losing three friends like that. What a sad time for Wayne.

    Liked by 1 person

  10. Mustang.Koji says:

    Your uncle’s feelings shine through his tears of 70 years ago. I did partially read the PDF on the retrieval efforts of the remains. A valiant and honorable effort to bringback loved ones…and especially to their mothers.

    Liked by 1 person

  11. Michael Miles says:

    Thank you for publishing such an emotional diary. My uncle and namesake was the pilot of #497. I’m glad to know more of the events. His remains were returned and rest in the National Cemetery in San Francisco. Words fail me even now for the sacrifice of so many young men in service to our country.

    Liked by 1 person

  12. Jody (Seehorn) Turner says:

    I so appreciated reading this and was very emotional as Stanley Seehorn was my Dad’s brother and the uncle I never met. It helped fill in some of the gaps. My Dad idolized him and I don’t think ever got over his death. Stanley still has two living sisters, Dwyla and Peggy, who adored him and a step brother.

    Liked by 1 person

    • a gray says:

      Wayne and Stanley trained together in South Carolina and became close friends in the Southwest Pacific. Your uncle’s loss deeply affected Wayne. I wonder if Wayne was in touch with Stanley’s family after the war.

      I don’t know if you read the full entry for September 4, 1944, but in its footnotes, there is a photograph of Wayne and Stan Seehorn. They were part of a group of men that were baptized on September 5 in a stream in New Guinea.


  13. Gail Seehorn Kopp says:

    Stanley Seehorn was also my uncle.
    A wonderful man named Frank R Sullivan, of Tulsa, OK was on the team that recovered the remains of the crew members of the three planes that crashed on Jan 1, 1945.
    He wrote a manuscript about the amazing recovery efforts in 1946.
    Through an amazing string of events, he tracked down my parents in 1992 and sent them a copy of his writing. It was the first information they had ever had about the actual crash and recovery. It meant so much to our family.
    I would love to know if it was ever published, or if Frank has living relatives.
    I appreciate this site so much. God Bless our Troops!

    Liked by 1 person

    • a gray says:

      I hope you will take the time to read Wayne’s Journal in its entirety.

      Liked by 1 person

      • Gail Seehorn Kopp says:

        I most definitely will read the entire journal as soon as possible. What a labor of love to transcribe it here. Thank you so much. Wish we had found this before losing my father last year. He was a Navy Seabee. He missed his brother all his life, and named his only son after him. (My brother). His memory has been kept alive in our family.

        I would love to know more about Wayne. Did he survive the war? Have a family?

        I was not able to open some of the links, or find the footnote with the photo. Will keep trying.

        Blessings to you !


      • a gray says:

        Rather than tell you about Wayne, you should just read Wayne’s Journal.


  14. Gail Kopp says:

    Just finished reading Wayne’s Journal. Thank you so very much for the time it took to post it all, and all the added historical footnotes. So awful, what those poor young people went through, along with their families Amazing that he was friends with my uncle.

    I am still wondering how the rest of his life turned out? Did he and his wife have children? I pray that he was happy.

    Blessings to you for your labor of love,

    Gail Seehorn Kopp


  15. DENNIS SHIELDS says:

    My Dad, Howard Shields, was a B25 pilot for the 100th and was on that January 1 raid flying his 72nd mission. He was in a trailing formation, to the right, and at a higher elevation, than the lead formation when he saw the planes disappear into the clouds and then three flashes through the clouds. He knew instantly what had happened.

    Dad didn’t talk much about the war but this story made him very emotional with so many lives lost in an instant.

    Four days later, January 5th, Dad’s plane was shot down on a strafing raid over the Celebes Islands and thanks to the heroics of a PBY crew, he and his crew were saved. The mission report is available online at the PBY Rescue Group website at:


    Along with the mission report is an incredible photo of Dad’s plane, right engine on fire and dumping ordinance, moments before they hit the water.

    Liked by 1 person

    • a gray says:

      Thank you, Dennis, for leaving your comment along with the link to the photograph of your dad’s plane. I have that photograph in the past. I feel honored that you shared you dad’s experience on Wayne’s Journal.


Please leave a comment

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s